I am going to try something for the first time. Perhaps it will help some reader of my blog. This post has nothing to do with global macroeconomics, but it is about jobs, rather a specific fashion-related job.
This post also contains an email from “Granny Bev” an 80-year young woman who writes children’s books. She heard me on Coast-to-Coast radio. Her email follows the job opening.
Fashion-Related Sales Position for Rue Magazine
Yesterday, I received an email from a contact on Linked-In about a fashion-related job opening.
I know nothing about fashion, but I do know how hard it is to find a good job. In the interest of helping out a reader of this blog who may be interested in what seems to me to be a good opportunity, I am posting this email that I received.
My sister’s company Rue Media Group, Inc (RUE Magazine) is hiring one to three Sales Directors (online advertising sales). The company is focused on women’s fashion, style, home decor and lifestyle.
Rue Media Group is a startup, but it is profitable, and is doing extremely well in terms of revenue, readership, and growth. Target compensation for the position is $90K – $100K+
Please pass the below job description along to anyone who might be qualified and interested.
Job Details, Requirements, Description
Sales Director – Rue Media Group
Openings in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, and New York
Rue Media Group is an online media company focused on style, fashion, and interior design. Founded in May 2010 and headquartered in San Francisco, CA, Rue Media Group publishes Rue Magazine, an interiors and entertaining online publication with a fashion and lifestyle sensibility. Rue Magazine provides inspiration, inclusive community, and fun to its readership of style and home décor enthusiasts. Representative advertiser clients include Duralee, Gilt Groupe, HGTV, Layla Grayce, Kravet, and Mitchell Gold + Bob Williams.
Rue Media Group is seeking experienced and highly motivated Sales Directors to join its team. We seek extraordinary individuals who are passionate about style, design, and fashion, and that bring an entrepreneurial and creative spirit of achievement to the company.
Ideal candidates will be located in the cities of San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, or New York, and will have a strong rolodex of agency and advertiser client contacts in the style, design, and/or home décor industries. Favorable references and a track record of success in advertising sales are highly desirable. The Sales Director will be responsible for meeting and exceeding an annual quota, and for driving strong revenue growth and overall client satisfaction.
• Execute outbound prospecting and new business development activities.
• Establish, develop, and maintain revenue relationships with advertiser clients.
• Research, analyze, and prioritize sales territory and client accounts.
• Develop sales and marketing materials such as media kit, custom proposals, and campaign analysis.
• Deliver presentations on the benefits and value of advertising with Rue Media Group.
• Ensure overall client satisfaction, value, and advocacy.
• Manage all phases of the sales process: territory planning, account planning, prospecting, new business development, pipeline development and management, proposal generation, client service, relationship management, negotiation, and bringing deals to closure.
Desired Skills and Experience
• 3+ years of experience in advertising sales, ideally having met or exceeded a six or seven figure annual sales quotas in the past.
• Strong rolodex of agency and advertiser contacts in the style, fashion, and/or interior design industry.
• Strong understanding of online advertising metrics: CPM, CPC, CPA, Page Views, Visits
• Self motivated, driven, and goal oriented.
• Demonstration of leadership and ability to juggle multiple projects with tight deadlines.
• Passion for and/or strong interest in style, fashion, home décor, and/or interior design.
• Motivated by high income and earnings potential.
• Comfortable in a loosely structured startup environment.
• BA or BS degree.
Compensation commensurate with experience. Base pay + sales commission. Role initially will be on a contract or consulting basis and will not include benefits. Strong contributors will be considered for full time employment and promotion pending demonstrated success over time.
Target salary is $90K+ at quota.
• U.S. Citizens and Green Card Holders only; no visa sponsorship provided.
• Rue Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This company does not and will not discriminate in employment and personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap, religion, national origin or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Please send resume and summary of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org
In a follow-up email with Lawrence, I asked if I could post that on my blog. Here is his reply:
I’m a big fan of your blog! We’d be thrilled and honored if you mentioned our job opportunity on your blog.
A few additional information bits that might be of interest to you:
Rue Media Group started as a grassroots effort in the blogosphere and has blossomed into a profitable business. Founders Crystal Gentilello and Anne Sage, and team members Bri Emery and Cassandra Lavalle are prominent interior design, fashion, and style bloggers.
Crystal and Anne’s enthusiasm for the blogging and positive feedback from readers inspired them to take their passion to the next level and launch an online magazine focused on style, fashion, and home décor. Their blogs can be found here:
You’d be doing us and many job seekers out there a huge favor if you can help match us up. Any help you can provide would be graciously appreciated!
Fashion-oriented minds may want to check out those blogs. They are very colorful and well laid out.
One thing I do ask. Please do not respond to the inquiry if you are not qualified. It will be a waste of your time and theirs.
Wool E. Woola
As long as I am doing strange and unusual things (posting job openings qualifies), here is an email I received from “Granny Bev”, who just turned 80 and is on Social Security.
She wrote a children’s book she is attempting to promote. She heard me on Coast-to-Coast a couple weeks ago. Granny writes…
The picture of you surprised me. You won’t recognize me because we met on Coast-to-Coast. You talked, I listened. I had expected an older man – you look to be in the same age bracket as my Grandsons.
I just turned 80, living on less money than I need to pay my bills. I started planning for my retirement when gas was $ .50 a gallon and my tiny annuity pays for my additional health insurance alongside my Medicare I have $9.00 left over.
Mish, you are the first and so far, only advisor who really seems to understand the financial situation for us elders and bless you for that.
Images from Wool E. Woola
I am willing to help those trying to help themselves. If you are an art director in need of art for children please give Granny Bev a ring.
Mike “Mish” Shedlock
Click Here To Scroll Thru My Recent Post List