The anti-terrorist message of Donald Trump appeals to Hungary’s prime minister Viktor Orban.
Bloomberg reports Hungary’s Viktor Orban Says Donald Trump Better for Europe.
- “I am not Donald Trump’s campaigner,” the Hungarian leader said at a cultural event in Baile Tusnad, Romania, an area with a large Hungarian population. “I never thought that the idea would ever occur to me that he is the better of the open options for Europe and Hungary.
- “I listened to (Trump) and I have to tell you that he made three proposals to stop terrorism. And as a European, I myself could not have drawn up better what Europe needs.”
- “If I’m asked what is Hungary’s strongest expectation regarding Turkey today, we will put stability first,” Orban said. “If Turkey becomes unstable, many tens of millions of people from that region will hurtle toward Europe without any sort of filtering, screening or control.”
- “Europe’s current political leadership has failed,” Orban said, adding that the EU was “fooling itself” if it still viewed itself as a “global actor,” saying that era had ended with the vote by Britain to leave the 28-nation bloc.
- “Our problem is not in Mecca but in Brussels,” Orban said. “The bureaucrats in Brussels are an obstacle for us, not Islam.
Orban arguably did as much to stop the flow of refugees into Europe as did Merkel’s ill-advised deal with Turkey.
After Hungary shut its borders with Serbia and Croatia last year, the flow of migrants coming from Turkey through Greece and further north into the EU collapsed.
Merkel’s deal with Turkey further shut the door, but it was individual nations willing to stand up to Merkel that largely did the trick.
Mike “Mish” Shedlock