A few months ago I was invited to move my website to TheMaven.Net/Mishtalk.
Giving up control of a domain is not an easy decision.
I did so because I like the Maven Team. I believe they will better promote the “Mish” brand than I can personally.
- James Heckman / Founder and CEO – Background: Head of Global Media Strategy for Yahoo!; Chief Strategy Officer at Fox Digital; architected a $900 million ad alliance between Google and Myspace; founder/CEO of 5to1.com (sold to Yahoo!); CSO of Zazzle.com; Founder/CEO of Scout.com (sold to Fox); Founder/CEO of Rivals.com and Rivals.net (sold to Yahoo!)
- Josh Jacobs / Executive Co-Chair – Background: President of services at Kik Interactive, one of the world’s largest messaging apps; global CEO of Accuen Media; president of the Omnicom Media Group
- Bill Sornsin / Chief Operating Officer – Background: Ran MSN’s Core Technology team before joining Rivals.com as co-founder and CTO in 1999; co-founded Scout.com as CTO/COO; VP Engineering & Operations at Fox Interactive Media following its acquisition of Scout.
- Ben Joldersma / Chief Technology Officer – Background: CTO and chief architect of the single-platform national sports network Scout.com; CTO of the digital media advertising management firm 5to1; senior software engineer at Google where he researched and developed image visualization systems for Google Maps; a principal software engineer in the advertising platform unit at Yahoo!
- Ross Levinsohn / Director – Background: CEO at Yahoo! in 2012; President of Fox Interactive where he helped create one of the largest digital businesses amongst the traditional media companies; co-founded Fuse Capital in 2005; General Manager at AltaVista Network; Vice President of Programming and Executive Producer at CBS Sportsline.
That’s a partial list of names as well as a partial list of accomplishments.
What’s In it for Me ?
- Ultimately, I expect more ad income or I would not move.
- I am also struggling to get readership up on Mish Moments, my photography website. I recon the Maven team can help.
What’s In it for You ?
- Rooms: Many people complain about political posts. Others love them. If you do not want to read about foreign or US politics, you can easily skip such posts.
- Ask Mish: I have a new room called Ask Mish. If you have a question, ask away. Others are free to respond or to comment on my comments.
- Easier signup. You can use any existing email address to join.
- Easier commenting.
- I have two moderators who can remove offensive comments and make minor edits to posts.
Signup is easy. Just follow the above instructions.
Once live, Mishtalk.Com will automatically redirect to TheMaven.Net/Mishtalk.
Thousands of articles have been converted minus the comments.
However, all existing posts and comments on MishTalk.Com will be available in Archive format shortly. That URL is Archive.Mishtalk.Com.
Welcome to MishTalk on The Maven.
Mike “Mish” Shedlock
Ugh. Not a fan.
Good luck anyway.
It doesn’t work.
What doesn’t work?
I already have my first comment on the new site.
I also have a standing invite from WordPress to return.
Looks like pos comment system there…doesn’t seem to be a way to comment to a comment, comments hardly even own section in the presentation of it all.
+ you hit return and the comment is up, at least here you had to find “post comment” .
+ the site is so loaded with images it is hostile…indigestible.
Linda Powers said:
I want this to work and I’m having trouble redirecting to the new site. I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. Yikes. If I miss a blog from you, I’ll feel so out-of-the-loop. Help.
Maximus Minimus said:
I am not sure if Google or Facebook account is required to sign up.
I have seen one other site, Asia Times, switch format and sign up with Facebook, and judging by the comment section, the readership tumbled. Just saying.
Phil Chamberlin said:
Can’t get it to work.
I receive your blog by email
Hi Phil – being an existing user on Mishtalk does not make one an existing user on the Maven.
Please sign up on the Maven.
I really your blog. I am having trouble with the login–Can’t seem to get to the Option A login for existing users. Has anyone else had this problem?
Thanks for your help.
Randy – being an existing user on Mishtalk does not make one an existing user on the Maven.
Please sign up on the Maven.
You do not need either Facebook or Google to sign up
Any email address should be fine
After you reply to the email confirm – you do need to create an account to set a username
Will we still get email Mish Talk emails from you? I enjoy those.
That’s a good question.
Will make that a priority.
Site is unusable on smart phone. Also, tried to sign in using all email. Couldn’t get through. What a mess.
That’s “aol” not “all”
On iPhone I get multiple overlaid pages. Unreadable.
John Hurda said:
Keep me signed up!
You need to sign up again.
Sorry, spelling Nazi moment. It’s reckon, not recon. Reckon means you think, or expect. Recon means reconnoiter. Or reconstruction, depending on context.
Words are words
Good luck with the new site, wish you much success!
Is this new site owned by that nutty Aussie, Rupert, the Earl of Fox ? If so, count me out!
Just checking through how it is there….and no offence to them for doing their way…
Lost me with that move is all I know.
Maybe someone will paste each article as it appears onto a mgea blogspot and leave comments open, haven’t time to do that… I guess rights also.
Will just have to see if readership drops so much that you move back to wordpress or blogger….
Still going to share with zh I suppose?
I guess most readers don’t comment so little difference in that respect, unless they read for comments.
It’s a sad day. I’ve been reading you for the better part of a decade but after seeing the companies represented by the new owners I’m not interested. Good luck.
Take care all, was good knowing you.
A big thanks to Mish also, and for being a fine host.
I will read you on the other site if it will not be too add heavy.
But i will not creat account just to comment.
I like the way it is here, no account needed.
I guess i will be commenting from now on on Wolf site only.
Got the new site to work with iPad, but not iPhone. Comment format is beyond me, so I guess I’ll just be a lurker from now on. See y’all. Been fun!
Diogenes of Sinope said:
You guys are pissing off the advertisers.
They’re counting on Mish to drive some cattle through and hopefully a few of us wind up in their livestock pens.
The maven site is much too difficult for me to manage. Please come back.
Maven doesn’t support RSS feeds. Seems all the new sites don’t offer RSS, so makes it hard for those that follow many sites.
Maven will have RSS
Maven will have RSS
Any idea when? No RSS is a deal breaker for me.. I don’t use social media, and there’s simply no way I can remember to go to individual websites.. sorry. Really liked your writing..
At first glance the new site is badly borked on an iPad mini.
Happy to give it a go, although the commenting system seems like taking a step backward. Shame there are no more threaded conversations. Reading the comments and discussions were as (sometimes) almost enlightening to me as your articles.
Hope the revenue side works out, you certainly deserve proper reward for all the work you put in!
This site works best for me. Will miss you. Best wishes with your new site.
What a mess.
See ya 🙁
Yancey Ward said:
Susan Polgar recently moved her blog (chess blog) to Maven (about 3 weeks or so ago), and I hate it with a seething passion. There seems to be no archive database, no pagination for posts older than about week, and the comments format is the most hideous commenting format I have seen in over 20 years online. The comments don’t support html tags, and it is almost impossible to use the comments section unless you have the page full screen.
Yancey Ward said:
To me it is interesting that a number of the people behind The Maven hail from Yahoo- an amazing failure of an idea that was once well ahead of its time.
Wow – I had no idea that you were so thin-skinned.
Signed up OK, but on iPad with Firefox or Safari, portrait orientation overlaps the 2 columns. Rotate to landscape mode and shows properly.
Get a BIGGER font.
Charles Gross said:
the log-in does not allow me to log in….??